Avon Walk for Breast Cancer – Charlotte (Part 3 – The Walk)


The first day of the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer – Charlotte, 2013 started with the alarm going off at 0’dark thirty. We popped out of bed, got dressed, grabbed some coffee and headed downstairs to walk over to opening ceremonies.  Jessica ran into a walker (Connie) who was doing the walk alone and she became an honorary member of our team.  Connie walked with us on and off for the next two days.


We arrived at opening ceremonies (in front of the Nascar Hall of Fame) in plenty of time and waited in the dark, attempting to stay warm, until things got going.  Opening ceremonies included several people sharing how breast cancer impacted their lives. Some of the people who spoke had lost loved ones and some were survivors.  We cried, laughed and joined hands in solidarity before stepping off on our journey.


Our friend from South Carolina, Anna, and her kids cheered us on at several locations along the way – it was amazing to have them supporting us.  It lifted us up to see them along the way.  They strategically posted themselves in front of a Ben and Jerry’s ice cream shop at one point which was brilliant!
One of the many great things about the Avon walks is that they allow plenty of time to finish the mileage each day – even with a stop for ice cream!


Day 1 was a long day and by mile 26 we were more than ready to be done walking.  That last .2 mile always seem like about 5 miles! We arrived in the Wellness Village tired and ready to be off of our feet, but we decided to stay at the finish line until the final walker arrived.  We cheered in that final walker and then hobbled over to the bus (which seemed to be about 12 miles away) to take us back to the hotel.  We got back to the hotel, showered (best hot shower ever!) and  limped down to the hotel restaurant for dinner.  We pretty much went directly to bed after dinner (we may or May not have watched a few episodes of Duck Dynasty before shutting off the lights).


Sunday involved us taking the bus  back to the Wellness Village and having breakfast there before we started our final 13.1 miles.  We met up with Connie again at breakfast.  She told us that she had a cold night in the tent in the Wellness Village and had not slept much. We felt bad for her and extra glad that we had decided to stay in the hotel. Sore and cold would have been miserable!


Over the course of the two days, the walk took us through beautiful neighborhoods, green spaces, parks, downtown and industrial areas.  We stopped at rest stops and quick stops with themes ranging from Duck Dynasty to Nascar.  We met many people along the way. We chatted and we kept one another going when things got rough.  We listened to music, we ate ice cream, we took pictures, we laughed, we cried, we whined a little AND we finished the entire 39.3 miles!  We couldn’t have done it without the love, support and donations from friends and family. Thank you to all who supported us on our journey.

Find Your Om Balance – Terri